The LEVER process logically refers to both the VPL ten steps model and the 4-phases process for the validation of competences acquired in non formal and informal learning contexts (EC/Cedefop 2015). Blending these two models into the LEVER-model brings about a LEVER process specifically consisting of five phases:
1. Committment&Awareness: the commitment and the awareness of the value of one’s competences and of undertaking a VPL process
2. Identification: the recognition of personal experiences against the LEVER competences
3. Documentation: the preparation of evidences and all materials proving the competences acquired
4. Assessment: the validation of the evidences; the assessment of the claimed competences
5. Sustainable development: the potential development of one’s validated competences into a personal professional enhancement path.